Friday, September 30, 2011

HOWTO: Fix Alps Touch Pad Side Scrolling in Linux 3.0

So in the copious amounts of spare time I don't really have these days I recently got the 3.0 kernel working on my Sony Vaio system. In the wonderful world that is Linux kernel regressions the side scrolling didn't work on the Vaio Alps touch pad with the newer kernel. Thankfully after a good deal of digging I found my solution on the Linux Answer machine.

To get your side scrolling working again run:

sudo modprobe -r psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps


Note you will need to run these commands every time you start your computer (unless you add them to somewhere clever such as your /etc/rc.local file).

Cheers,
~Jeff Hoogland

4 comments:

  1. linux answer machine . . . Yes indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fix does not work for me on my HP Pavilion dm3 1010ed. Everything freezes completely after the first command line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first line disables the mouse. The second line re-enables it with the scrolling fixed.

    Its not "freezing" the mouse is just disabled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This fixed the scrolling on my Aspire One. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete